This training was created to reduce technical errors caused by the human factor, as well as to update the level of personnel management methodology and increase employee motivation. The ERRM (engine room resource management) course lasts three days and is intended for marine officers. A person will face imitation of difficult situations, learn how to respond quickly and make the right decisions, as well as know how to implement ERRM.
What are the main tasks of the ERRM?
After completion of the three-day engine resource management course, each officer will have the improved skills in organization of teamwork and the better resource management, namely:
- basic knowledge of international maritime conventions, as well as the basic laws of various countries;
- ability to correctly distribute the resources and tasks;
- skills to make decisions quickly and efficiently;
- situational and intercultural awareness, which allows to improve teamwork and reduce the negative impact of the human factor on work;
- leadership skills;
- anti-crisis management skills and quick assessment of various risks;
- skills of effective distribution of work and rest in crisis situations.
In addition to marine engineer officers, this course will be useful to electrotechnical and prospective engineers.
What does the engine room management course include?
As mentioned above, the course lasts three days, of which two are dedicated to theoretical presentations and one day to practice. A practical part includes the use of the full engine room simulator in order to consolidate the obtained theoretical knowledge in conditions as close to real ones as possible. The theoretical part includes the following topics:
- improvement of communication efficiency;
- national and cultural awareness;
- decision making and effective resource management;
- high determination;
- quick stress relief and relaxation planning;
- proper prioritization;
- team building;
- basics of leadership;
- limitations and features of the human factor.
Where can a person take the engine resource management STCW courses?
One of the best places for doing so is a Ukraine and the certified Specialized Training Center located at Kherson. All theoretical and practical exercises are conducted under Regulations III/1, III/2 and III/6 of the 1978 STCW Convention, as amended, covering the applicable minimum requirements specified in Sections A-III/1, A-III/2, A-III/4, A-III/6, A-III/7 and A-VIII/2 of the STCW Code 2010 Manila Amendments.
- Teacher: Artem Ivanov